Monday, December 21, 2009

Professional Portfolio

NASPE Standard 1
Standard 1: Demonstrates competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
Scientific and Theoretical Knowledge - Physical education teacher candidates know and apply discipline-specific scientific and theoretical concepts critical to the development of physically educated individuals.
Although I do not have documentation to post on here I have taken many classes that have given me knowledge in the motor skills. For example motor development, Anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, and Biomechanics, in the upcoming spring semester I will be taking motor behavior, and Exercise Physiology to help give me more knowledge.

NASPE Standard 2
Standard 2: Demonstrates understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities.
Skill and Fitness Based Competence - Physical education teacher candidates are physically educated individuals with the knowledge and skills necessary to demonstrate competent movement performance and health enhancing fitness as delineated in the NASPE K – 12 Standards.
This standard I feel was demonstrated in my squash lesson I put up index cards in tactical positions for the serve so the ball would land in good spots to win the point. I got these tactical ideas from my racket activities lesson where they teach us several affective serves.

NASPE Standard 3
Standard 3: Participates regularly in physical activity.
Planning and Instruction - Physical education teacher candidates plan and implement developmentally appropriate learning experiences aligned with local state, and national standards to address the diverse needs of all students.
This lesson plan that I used for teaching ice-skating is a great example of an implementation of Standard 3, but also provides fun examples of how to make ice skating easy and enjoyable for your students.

NASPE Standard 4
Standard 4: Achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
Instructional Delivery and Management - Physical education candidates use effective communication and pedagogical skills and strategies to enhance student engagement and learning.
In my short life all I have done is athletics. I live for and love being physically fit and hope that one day I will be able to inspire students suffering from obesity to do the same. I am currently registered for the 2010 NYC Marathon on November 7 where I will be running for the A Running Start foundation which raises money for Kenyan athletes who cannot afford to come to America for college. I also participate in triathlons and aspire to complete and Ironman in the summer of 2012. Here is a photo of me finishing my second sprint triathlon.

NASPE Standard 5
Standard 5: Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others in physical activity settings.
Impact on Student Learning - Physical Education teacher candidates utilize assessments and reflection to foster student learning and inform instructional decisions.

NASPE Standard 6
Standard 6: Values physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
Professionalism - Physical Education teacher candidates demonstrate dispositions essential to becoming effective professionals.
To enhance my professionalism in all aspects this semester I started working on my coaching skills with students that I do not know so it was more of a challenge. Previously I would go help out at my local High School and coach the distance team, many of the guys on the team now were either on the middle school teams or team mates of mine during my senior year so it is not that difficult to communicate with them. But as shown HERE I spent the fall semester coaching at homer high school. Cross Country was tough because I came in mid season and the coach was in the swing of it already. But before winter track started I met with the coach and discussed plans for the season and it is really working well with the athletes. So far the 3 girls that I work with have all had major Personal Best early on in the season so the future looks bright for the team at Homer. I will continue with this in the spring and next fall to try and really develop a relationship with the student-athletes and help them achieve not only their athletic goals but mainly their academic goals.
I also attended the NYS AHPERD Conference this past November which was absolutely amazing. I am always mesmerized when I leave those conferences due to the fact that I just never stop learning for the whole time I am there. It never stops. In this picture the presenter was an elementary school teacher and I did not realize until I tried that I was a little to big for to go under. Luckily the equipment was easy to put back together.
One other event that I took part in was the SUNY Cortland mini conference. I was a presider for the speed Speed Stackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment